November 25- Business Networking Night with Special Guest Lee Dunbar
Business League members had a night of open business networking. We were also joined by Leila Dunbar (Lee) of Leila Dunbar Appraisals and Consulting, LLC.
From 1999-2008, Lee served as senior vice president and director of Sotheby’s Collectibles department, selling more than $75 million worth of memorabilia. Sports highlights include the bat that Babe Ruth used to hit the very first home run on Grand Opening Day; Dr. James Naismith’s Original Rules of Basketball ($4.38 million); and Jeff Ellis Antique Golf Club Collection ($2.2 million).
Lee also discussed how you can appraise your own items and how you can build a killer collection. Lee will also gave us the behind the scenes story of the Roadshow million dollar appraisal.
September 23, 2014 – The Importance of Building Culture
Washington Capitals Head Coach Barry Trotz, Washington Wizards Head Coach Randy Wittman and Washington Mystics Head Coach and General Manager, Mike Thibault will joined us for our September event, “The Importance of Building Culture.” Building a culture for your team is extremely important in the workplace and in the sports world. Each coach gave exclusive insight on how building the right culture with a team at training camp can set the pace for a successful season.
Business League Health Event – On June 30th the Monumental Business League hosted Health and Fitness Seminar. The event featured an opportunity to network with other members of the Business League while visiting with local businesses focused on a variety of different areas related to health, fitness, and general well-being.
MSE Business League Expo – January 22nd, 2014 was a unique opportunity for businesses to be featured in a tradeshow format to Business League members as well as everyone in attendance of the Washington Wizards vs. Boston Celtics game. Participating businesses also presented their companies in an exclusive Business League only reception. Following the reception the tables are able to remain on the concourse for the entirety of the Wizards game. These companies gained a new level of exposure to a large audience. Many requested that we do this event more than once a year, so stay tuned!
Thank you to the participating businesses:
Focus Real Estate
World Financial Group
Wells Fargo Wealth Management
Community Force Inc.
Sunrise Medical Labs
JacobsonLiving at QWilliams Real Estate
Thompson Coburn LLP
Innovative Scholarship Solutions
Capital City Specialties
Thomas & Herbert Consulting LLC
Working with the Federal Government – On December 11th, 2013, Business League Members were treated to a rotating guest speaker panel with some of DC area’s biggest government contractors. Our speakers represented the most powerful government contracting companies in the world, including Northrop Grumman, Accenture, and Link Solutions. Being part of the DC business community means you will always be affected by the Federal Government, and our three guest speakers shared their different areas of expertise. They shared how to win and manage bids with the Federal Government for both large companies as well as for small businesses.
Guest Panel Featured:
Vince Vlasho – Accenture, Executive Vice President, Navy & Marine Corps Programs
Ed Swallow – Northrop Grumman VP Business Development
David Joslin – Link Solutions, COO
Social Media and Marketing – Social media is a word that we hear every day. But does your business know how to maximize the right moments with the right people to increase your brands awareness? In November the Business League was joined by Ali Reza Manouchehri, founder and CEO of Zoomph, for a hands-on MSE Business League networking event on how to create a world-class social media influencer plan. We gained information on how your business can use the power of social media to identify influencers and start cultivating brand loyalty across today’s most popular social sites.
Interactive Networking Workshop
– The goal of the evening was to provide an event that will develop new and strengthen existing relationships between likeminded businesses. Business League members enjoyed a networking scavenger hunt designed to create conversations and connect as many people as possible at the event. The League also listened to the Washington Wizards Vice President of Basketball Administration, Tommy Sheppard, share his thoughts and knowledge about the upcoming Wizards season. Following the event everyone watched the Wizards defeat the Miami Heat 100-82 in a preseason match-up.
– On September 18th Roger Mody, a member of the Monumental Sports ownership group and John Backus, managing partner of New Atlantic Ventures, joined the MSE Business League and hosted a speaking panel on the theme of “Entrepreneurship”. Both Roger and John have been very successful in starting and running their own businesses, and they shared their extensive knowledge and experience with the Business League. Business League members also enjoyed time to network with new contacts, sharing entrepreneurial ideas and meeting one another.
Performance and Leadership Keynote Presentation
– On August 14th, the MSE Business League welcomed guest speaker Steve McClatchy, Founder of Alleer Training and Consulting. McClatchy spoke to MSE Business League members in attendance about a variety of leadership and performance topics, including decision-making, goal setting and achievement, time management, and much more.
Kettler Capitals Iceplex Speed Networking Breakfast
– On July 12th, the MSE Business League hosted its second event at the Washington Capitals practice facility: the Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington, VA. Members participated in hockey-themed speed networking activities – shifting lines every two minutes – and had the opportunity to meet Washington Capitals Defenseman and Entrepreneur Steven Oleksy (founder of Eastside Elite Hockey) and Assistant General Manager and Director of Legal Affairs Don Fishman. The MSE Business League would like to extend a special thank you to Eco Caters for sponsoring the event and providing complimentary breakfast to all members in attendance!
MSE Business League Kickoff Event
– On June 25th, MSE Vice Chairman Raul Fernandez officially introduced the MSE Business League to DC business leaders. Fernandez discussed the importance of client entertainment to business success. Wizards Head Coach Randy Wittman shared insight on the business of basketball, including a preview of the 2013 NBA Draft and the preparation that goes into NBA Draft night.”